Setting boundaries is an important part of self-care, as it allows you to define your needs and expectations in relation to your relationships with others. Here are six steps to help you set boundaries:
- Know what you want and need: Take the time to identify what matters most to you and what your limits are.
- Communicate your boundaries clearly: Let the other person know your expectations and make sure they understand them.
- Be assertive: Be confident in stating your needs and don’t apologize for it.
- Respect others’ boundaries: Make sure to respect the boundaries of others as well.
- Be consistent: Make sure to stick to your boundaries and don’t waiver.
- Be willing to compromise: Be open to negotiation and compromise when necessary.